Wednesday, February 4, 2009

POVray assigment done

The POVray assignment I wrote about earlier is now complete. Got some nice pics out of it. Here's one of them.



Now I am rendering them at higher resolution and will be making a movie out of them. Right now I have made a mpeg-4 one but I am looking to encode them in theora format. FFmpeg, I love you. Though this movie was made with mencoder, they both basically use the libavcodec and libavformat libraries.

It is somewhat surprising that in ray tracing too, texture mapping is used extensively.

Anyways, the pics look pretty cool to me.

And yes, I figured out how to get rid of that irritating warning. Here' how.

In the vfe/unix folder of the source tar ball for unix, there's a file called unixconsole.cpp. IN it, the following code appears,

if (user_code != current_code)

{

fprintf(stderr, "%s: this pre-release version of POV-Ray for Unix %s\n",PACKAGE,current_week <>);
exit(RETURN_ERROR);

}

Comment it out. Afterwards, it will whine about expiring in a while, but those warnings are harmless, it won't come to pass.

Happy ray tracing.