Sunday, June 26, 2011

Upgraded to Ubuntu Unity, and I like it

I am running Natty with Unity. I am kinda smitten by the new UI Ubuntu has come up with. With gpu acceleration, this thing really flies. These shortcuts are really useful.

I have upgraded to Firefox 5, and frankly, I am not missing chromium, which is quite surprising, considering my experience with Firefox in the past. A few addons have helped, like omnibar, downthemall, and torbutton helped swing the decision. Firefox is sitting behind polipo, which is good, as I can filter all the nasty ad serving URLs. It helps that I need polipo for tor anyway. I highly recommend tor for anyone who cares about his privacy and free speech online.

The default nouveau driver was a bit of a pain (I have gt330m), as it kept hanging. Got rid of it and with the new nvidia driver, there is no problem at all.

There are a few downsides though. The firewall situation needs to be looked at. I had to set selinux in permissive mode, else it wouldn't let me run the nvidia driver.

No comments: